Our Commitment to Sustainability
The MacCallum House and Mendocino have long been recognized as leaders in environmental stewardship. Mendocino is home to more certified organic wineries than any other county in the nation. We are all doing our part in making decisions that will make the world a better place for future generations.
MacCallum House has taken these steps to reduce our impact on the environment and we continue to make improvements in this area:
- Pioneer seasonal menus featuring local organic produce, dairy and grains for the past 2 decades from local purveyors.
- Compost all food waste.
- 100% recycling of plastics and glass bottles.
- All paper used in the hotel and office are from recycled sources whenever possible.
- All in-room shampoo, conditioner and lotion in reusable pump bottles made from recycled plastics.
- All outdoor bulbs changed to CFL and many indoor, as well.
- All laundry detergent, fabric softener, brightener and air deodorizer from Ecover.com and Vaska.com, environmentally friendly and biodegradable
- All paint used on property is water soluble.
- All water served to guests run through charcoal filter.
- Employee education and ‘go green contest’- email@example.com
- In the pipeline: low flow shower heads and in-room energy control units.
- Starting in 2006, we changed our coffee supply in the US, moving to higher quality produce from growers who work under the Rainforest Alliance umbrella. The Alliance looks to protect ecosystems and the people and wildlife that depend on them by safeguarding the rights and well-being of workers, conserving resources and protecting the environment.